As part of these consultations, members received representations from patients, GP practice staff and councillors regarding the potential cumulative impact of these proposed changes and decided to undertake a review of the provision of and access to GP services across County Durham.
The review considered a wide range of user feedback, including evidence from three Healthwatch County Durham survey reports. Key recommendations put forward by Healthwatch County Durham include:
• Having easy to read and well managed notice boards and publicity materials
• Assessing and reviewing the accessibility of reception areas
• Reviewing the practices’ appointments system
• Assessing the effectiveness of its telephony system
• Undertaking a review of practice websites to ensure that all information detailed is up to date and relevant
When patients were surveyed, it became clear they were unaware of the Care Navigation initiative. Healthwatch County Durham identified issues around the communication of the rationale for and benefits of care navigation to patients. The review recommended that the Clinical Commissioning Group address the issues identified. You can download the review in full below.