Healthwatch County Durham were keen to understand if there were any barriers stopping people accessing health checks or if there was any good practice they could identify and share which would increase the numbers of eligible people accessing annual checks. Therefore it was agreed by the Healthwatch Board that this would be included in the workplan for 2016/17.
Following a review of our findings we would recommend the following actions:
- All eligible patients should be contacted to offer a health check in an appropriate and user friendly manner. Any letters sent should be in an easy read format.
- GP surgeries should be encouraged to share best practice to maximise the uptake of health checks.
- The use of peer groups to promote health check uptake should be encouraged
- Where necessary GP surgeries should consider using alternative venues to offer health checks which may be less intimidating for people with learning disabilities who are reluctant to go to surgeries.
- Healthwatch County Durham should monitor the data produced by NHS England to identify whether the uptake in County Durham is improving